A VPS or a Virtual Private Server is installed on a computer that hosts multiple clients. Basically, one server is divided into several servers, virtually. Each of these has its own operating system and can belong to a different client.
A VPS is a step beyond shared hosting where all the server resources were shared by many. With a VPS, each client will have their allocated memory, disk space, bandwidth, etc. and they would not have to share any of these with a neighboring site.
This is the preferred solution for many small to medium sized businesses since it quite effectively bridges the gap between the limitations of shared hosting and the flexibility of dedicated hosting. The main reason for its popularity is that it provides almost all the features of dedicated hosting at an extremely reasonable price. Many people also prefer it since it offers much more control over the computing environment than what they have with shared hosting.
The various features of VPS
The features and services completely depend on the service provider. However, there are some that you must check carefully before you decide on a VPS plan for your business.
- If you are not very tech savvy, check the level of expert support the provider is offering. This is invaluable since you may find yourself struggling with even the most basic problems otherwise.
- Check for root access. That will give you complete control over your VPS account – right from configurations to installing software. This is possible through the interface of the control panel application.
- Ask if the provider monitors the network and hardware regularly. This will help save your account from hackers, DDoS attacks, and malicious software. It also ensures physical security of the server.
- The provider must offer a way to you a way to manage data backups. If you are able to manually backup your data, you can restore it any time you need to.
- What if your business requires you to have multiple websites? You must check if the provider offers enough resources for you to be able to do that with any of them suffering from performance issues.
Once you have checked all these features and found them to be fine for your business’s needs, you can go for the VPS Hosting with the chosen provider.
Let’s now speak about the various benefits that your business would receive from a cheap VPS plan.
- It will get more stability and reliability for even the basic web hosting needs. Since you would not be sharing computing resources, a traffic spike in any of your neighbors’ websites would not affect the performance of your website.
- With root access, you are not dependent on the provider’s whims and fancies if you require the installation of a custom software package. You will be able to bypass most of the issues you saw with shared hosting.
- An issue with dedicated server hosting is that it cannot be considered as an eco-friendly technology. This is because you are the only one using all the resources of a single server. This is not so with VPS since many users are utilizing the resources of a single server. This is definitely a better and more efficient utilization of resources.
- For many businesses, scalability is a major concern. This is because they start a website hoping to turn it into something big in the future. For them, it is important to be able to scale up the computing resources without seeing any downtime or facing technical issues. With VPS, this is easily possible and with the click of a button.
- While it is true that VPS solutions were on the higher side of expenses in earlier times, that is not so these days. There have been much advancement in the virtualization techniques, and the prices are just going to decrease further. Also, with the many cheap Windows VPS hosting plans available today, it is silly to give this awesome opportunity a miss thinking it to be far too expensive for your business.
If you are still worried about the cost factor, you can always go for cheap plans for your business, where you can either get a cpanel for a nominal fee or get a license for your own cpanel. Just make sure that even if you have gone for the cheap plan, you are not shortchanged on the support provided. This is because a lot of stuff can go wrong with your site and then you are stuck. Go for a company that has ample experience in this filed. You don’t want to settle for bad VPS plans from a company that does not really know a lot about hosting solutions. Be smart and go for cheap VPS plans from a premium hosting solutions provider only.
This article is compiled by ( admin ). Please keep
the link for Reprint:
Understanding VPS And If It Is A Good Idea For Your Business